How to block ads on Android

Written by on June 3, 2011 in apps - 19 Comments
google-mobile-ads-300x259

Those pesky ads, they are everywhere! On your TV, on the street, online and now on your Android phone. The space on your Android mobile is precious and with mobile ads taking a chunk of that space, it is no wonder that they get on people’s nerves.

AdFree Android is a simple and free app. All you need to do is press the “Download & Install Hosts” button and all ads will be blocked.

Obviously, with all ads blocked, developers and website owners won’t receive any dosh from you for their hard work. If you do block ads on your Android phone then try to support the developers as much as possible by donating and buying the premium versions of their apps. Don’t believe me that developers will suffer if ad blockers are used? Read this comment from Someone in the comments who is an app developer.

As for me, I’m actively anti-blocking blocking users. Don’t stop my revenue. I can’t eat or survive otherwise if there’s no money. You could literally kill developers by doing it.”

Pros

• Works well – If you want to block ads then this app does just that.

Cons

• Stops supporting developers – Many developers rely on mobile ads to support their work. If you use this app then try to donate and buy premium apps as much as you can.

Conclusion

About the Author

Caleb is an 18 year old student from England. He bought an Android mobile over a year ago and has been a self confessed Android fan ever since. Caleb is passionate about helping people to make the most of their Android.

19 Comments on "How to block ads on Android"

1. Someone June 3, 2011 at 11:52 pm · Reply

>> “Ad Free Android is a great app that blocks ads very well. Not everyone believes that Ad blockers should be allowed. It isn’t against terms and conditions so it’s up to you!”

Actually, it is. As a developer I’m working very long days to create apps and support my users. If those users decide to block the ads I’m putting in, they are definitely using the app against my terms and conditions. I did not put in those ads in because they’re so pretty, after all.

Then again, I do understand the hatred about ads. I’m actually using my own apps with ads (testing ads) enabled to make sure they won’t get in the way when they really should not, but unfortunately not all developers are like that. I really do dislike it when some other developer decides to slap a banner onto his game and show it for the total runtime and partly in front of important buttons and things like that. That’s horrible.

But blocking them is not the way to go about getting rid of them. Showing the developer your friendly support by asking if there’s a way to use his or her app without the ads is.

• Someone Else June 11, 2011 at 4:04 am · Reply

> “If [...] users decide to block the ads I’m putting in, they are definitely using the app against my terms and conditions”
      Just because someone uses your app in a way that was not intended by you does not mean that this person breaks your terms and conditions. If you have terms and conditions, they must be explicitly stated in an End-User License Agreement (EULA). You cannot make people legally agree on invisible or implicit terms and conditions.

> “You could literally kill developers”
      I did not know that ad blockers were such lethal weapons. Do you think they should be regulated?

I never click on ads (other than once in a while, by mistake). How am I creating revenue for the developers then? I am not. And how different would it be for the developers if I blocked ads? It would be no different, would it since I don’t click on them in the first place.

• kleatus June 13, 2011 at 2:33 pm · Reply

It’s easy to sit on the other side of the fence and say “well nya” when your living conditions aren’t riding on it.

• Jim Real September 21, 2011 at 2:20 pm · Reply

” It’s really the principle of the matter. As it is even accidental clicks help. If you want to block ads then that’s your choice but don’t be upset when quality free apps disappear because developers stop caring. Would you work for free?”

No, you are wrong. What is unethical is developers intentionally designing to ‘generate’ accidental hits by placing ads near navigation links.
          And THAT is the biggest reason to block them.

• Me December 10, 2011 at 2:02 pm · Reply

I have no problem with the ads perse, but with the kind of ad for an app. Eg… A kids app with adult content ad…. I know developers haveto eat, they put a lot of work in what they do. But come on. I also put effort on guarding my kids. My respects to all of you.

2. calebk June 4, 2011 at 7:58 am · Reply

Hi Someone, it’s great to here the opinion of an actual developer. I have heard that it isn’t actually against Google’s terms and conditions and isn’t against the law like pirating apps.

I can fully understand how important ads are to you and other developers like you. I won’t be using an ad blocker even if I do find those ads a bit annoying. At the end of the day, developers deserve money for their hard work. If you aren’t paying for an app then you should pay in advertising.

3. Open Source user June 5, 2011 at 3:59 pm · Reply

well you might consider that the open source guys have been contributing software like these crappy little apps simply to enrich the public domain for decades. to bell with all these idiot “developers” who think they are going to get rich off their crappy little piece of software.

• alexandros July 5, 2011 at 4:18 pm · Reply

i contribute to open source community and i have been involved in many projects. People that produce code for the community doing it because they earn something back (free os, free IDEs, etc) or earning money from google adsense and their sites or ven better getting funds from big companies to continue their work. Nobody unleash is a student or really rich works for free.

• Jim Real September 21, 2011 at 2:24 pm · Reply

I don’t think you get it. Most open source devs have paying jobs and this is their way of giving and sharing.
        What a concept, eh?

4. alexandros July 5, 2011 at 4:14 pm · Reply

Hi, as a developer i name my living from making software. Developers are not self hated people that does not have a live outside their pc. When they produce an application they are doing ti for profit. Its our job and we expect to get some money from it.The ads are a way for the users to have good applications without pay anything and for the developers to earn their food. The ad companies pays some money even when nobody clicks on the ads but just for showing up. When you clock these ads actually you want people to stop produce free apps. If i do not make money from free applications then i will not produce new ones. It is so simple

5. K.C. July 11, 2011 at 8:30 pm · Reply

I respect developers etc for making their apps with adds to make some cash, but I am fully against ads within the browser or ads that automatically download in games etc. To be honest it is completely unfair to the user that such a thing happens as – lets not forget – 3g and 4g internet usage costs the user money. I have a pay as you go contract that allows me 1.5GB usage per month for £10GBP but have found that in 4 days using my HTC Flyer with less than average internet usage, I have managed to use up 650MB. Using my HTC WP7 this plan has never ever used up all the data from my plan and this is solely down to the crap that gets downloaded each time a site opens or an app downloads an ad.
    Developers may be making money from each ad, the advertisers may be making some cash, the phone operators are making the most, and the user is footing the bill every time.

6. plain flavour July 21, 2011 at 12:46 pm · Reply

I dont a have a problem with ads per se but i have a problem with dishonest ads that try to trick me into thinking i have a battery problem. These are from admob. How can i block this without blocking all ads?

7. nerd August 8, 2011 at 9:55 pm · Reply

I block ads because i hate them, this is my device, and nobody but me can tell me what to do with it. If app makers wont even give you an option to disable ads, one hidden deep in the program options, then i wouldnt have to use ad-free. On the flipside, like most users, i will be very vocal against apps that refuse to work if i am using ad-free and dont have that disable ads freature

8. Ashley1969 September 18, 2011 at 7:24 am · Reply

This is for rooted phones only, not most users.

9. Adolf Norris October 28, 2011 at 10:53 pm · Reply

Adblock wont work any more so why are you guys crying

10. Nevar Maor December 18, 2011 at 2:08 pm · Reply

My issue with these ads is a bit different. I have an android phone. I want to add an app (say a to-do list). I know what I want it to do but there are literally hundreds of to-do list apps just in the market. I don’t know which one will meet my needs from the descriptions. Some (most) are quite sparse in that regard. And every to-do list review chooses a different one (often the reviews actually tell me the app is NOT what I’m looking for).

So I end up making a list (irony) of apps to try. I download the free versions because I don’t want to buy an app sight unseen. I literally download, try, and discard dozens of these before finding the one that works for me (not necessarily one I like but one that I dislike least). Unfortunately, because of the ads I have now inadvertently supported developers who made apps I don’t like, don’t use, and frankly are useless crap in many cases.

That’s why I have an issue with ads. The ads are fine if I’m actually finding the program useful and worthwhile. But I don’t want to be encouraging any joe schmoe to develop crap.

11. Phill O'Flynn July 20, 2012 at 10:34 pm · Reply

I absolutely hate ads because they are so invasive. They even call at home. That’s the problem they go to far ALL the time. Enough is enough.

12. geekguy July 20, 2012 at 10:37 pm · Reply

I absolutely hate ads. They’re so invasive. Advertisers even call at home when they’re no supposed to. Enough is enough.

Trackbacks for this post