If you’re worried than an Android device may not be able to offer the average gamer as much as an iOS handset, then you’d be wrong! Android gaming is really ont he rise, and the open-source nature of Android devices mean that you’ll get some of the best indie developers drifting towards it as they realise how much easier it is to get an .apk up on the Android Marketplace!
So say you’re sat there with your shiny new Desire HD or Xperia Play, fresh out of the box from O2. Boot it up, and try the following five games to get a feel for the gaming talent working towards building u a catalogue of amazing titles on the Android platform.
1) Grand Prix Story Ever wanted to run your own racing team? Well, Kairosoft’s pixel-art grand prix management sim will allow you to do so. The mechanics are smart, it’s easy to learn, and very, very difficult to put down.
2) Pew Pew Pew Pew is, for all intents and purposes, a Geometry Wars clone, but that’s not to say that it’s in any way a bad game. With reliable touch-screen controls, this dual-stick shooter can run well on a wide variety of devices, and will keep you glued to the screen for a good long while.
3) WipeOut Yep, seriously. The PS1 classic is on Android, for the Xperia Play. Futuristic looks, a great soundtrack, solid handling and a competitive edge are what pushes WipeOut past the competition.
4) Cordy Possibly the nicest looking Android game there is, this cutesy platformer is free, and uses a microtransaction model to allow people to pay for additional levels. The graphics are some of the best (if not the best) currently on the market, so don’t miss out.
5) Minecraft We know it’s not out yet, but c’mon – the most immersive game in recent memory is hitting the Xperia Play, followed by other Android devices, in the near future. One of the best games, and Apple fans will miss out on mobile mining That’s just five – there are many Android-exclusive titles, so get gaming.